If you’re like us, you want to avoid getting the cold, flu or anything in-between as much as possible! Especially if you’re dealing with cancer, getting even a minor cold can be absolutely exhausting. And, if you’re in treatment with low blood counts and a compromised immune-system, the fear of catching something is even more prevalent. Then, there are those of us with kids – isn’t if awful when they get sick?! – or working a busy full-time job and we just don’t have time to get sick, do we?
Fortunately, there are many natural ways to help your body fight and heal from disease, from the common cold to cancer. Whether you combine these with conventional medicine practices or not, know that you’ll be helping your body our big time when you implement some of these tips. Getting the right food into your body, getting enough rest, keeping stress at bay and getting fresh air all play a large role in staying well.
Take a look at some of our tips for preventing illness and helping your body to heal from it. These can be done on a regular basis AND when a cold or other illness strikes. Do you have a great natural cold remedy? Please share in the comments below!
- Get plenty of rest whenever possible. Lack of sleep breaks down the immune system.
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate and flush toxins and unwanted germs out of the body.
- Try the teas in our book to hydrate and nourish your body, or create your own! One we love – simmer pieces of ginger root and turmeric root in water for 30 minutes. Pour through a tea filter into your cup and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Include plenty of onions, garlic and scallions in your cooking. Studies have shown these foods from the allium family help in fighting colds and cancer.
- Drink your juice! Raw juice, that is. Get a dose of nutrients, flush toxins out and help rebuild and balance your blood’s pH balance. Try juicing once daily – first thing in the morning, if you can. No juicer? Try blending veggies and fruit with water at high speed and pouring through a mesh strainer (but we recommend the juicer!).
- Try our Cold-Busting Juice – 1 apple, 1/2 large lemon, 2 large kale leaves, 1/2 to 1 inch ginger root. Wash, chop and add to your juicer. Makes 8 to 10 ounces of juice.
- Get some astragalus root in capsule form or the root itself, and add it to tea, like the one we mentioned in #4. This herb helps to stimulate the immune system. Find it in health food stores.
- Reduce sugar in your diet. It breaks down the immune system.
- Eat lots of veggies, especially leafy greens, like kale, spinach and collards.
- Get some Vitamin C. You can try taking a supplement, or up your dose of Vitamin C-rich foods. Try these 7 Foods with More Vitamin C than an Orange from the Huffington Post.