Not only does adding some freshly squeezed lemon juice to your water add some tasty zing, but it also has some amazing health benefits! Starting your day by drinking 8 to 12 ounces of warm water and freshly squeezed juice from half a lemon will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to start your day. Read on to learn more reasons why this habit is so darn good for you!
- Strengthens Your Immune System. Lemons are high in vitamin C (ascorbic acid), which is great for fighting colds and other illnesses. Vitamin C shows anti-inflammatory effects, and is used as complementary support for asthma and other respiratory symptoms. It also enhances iron absorption in the body, and iron is important for optimal immune function.
- Supports Healing. The high amount of Vitamin C in lemons promotes wound healing. It has high anti-inflammatory properties, and it’s an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissue, and cartilage.
- Balances pH Levels. Lemons help to support the body’s natural pH level, which is more alkaline. Even though we consider lemons to be acidic, the body processes them as alkaline (once metabolized). Helping to maintain the body’s slightly alkaline state is important for fending off disease, since a disease state in the body is far more likely to exist when the body is too acidic.
- Aids Digestion. Lemon juice encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that is required for digestion. Lemons are also help loosen ama (toxins) in the digestive tract. The digestive qualities of lemon juice help to relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn, belching and bloating. The American Cancer Society even recommends drinking warm lemon water to cancer sufferers to help stimulate bowel movements during treatment.
- Cleanses and Detoxifies. Lemon juice flushes out unwanted materials and toxins from the body. This is in part because lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Therefore toxins are released at a faster rate which helps keep the urinary tract healthy. The citric acid in lemons also helps maximize enzyme function, which stimulates the liver and aids in detoxification.
- Boosts Energy. Lemon naturally energizes the body by hydrating and bringing oxygen to blood cells. It will leave you feeling more revitalized and rejuvenated!
- Improves Skin’s Appearance. Lemon water purifies the blood and purges toxins to help keep skin clear and glowing. The high antioxidant content helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes and counters free radical damage from pollution and sun exposure. Lemon also helps preserve collagen and elastin to keep your skin looking youthful.
Do you start your day with water and lemon juice? Have you noticed a difference in how you feel since beginning this healthy habit?